Applied and got the interview? Congratulations, but before we break out the champagne, here are some tips during the interview process. You can use these tips even if this is your first project management job:
- Talk about the triple constraint: Your experience to talk about how you managed scope, timelines and quality management. These are fundamental to your job so make sure you highlight them
- You are not a multi-tasker, but you know how to manage multiple projects: Saying you are a multi-tasker is old school. Instead, talk about how you effectively managed more than one project and the process you used to do so.
- Documentation: What types of documents did you use. Every place has their own version, but the concept is the same. Talk the details in each one when it’s relevant to the conversation.
- Budgets: You may not have managed actual dollars but resources are also a budget item. Discuss how you managed resources to particular project.
- Think of something bad that happened during a project: 90% of the interviewers will ask you to explain a project that went wrong and how did you fix it. Have this resolution in your back pocket, but also make sure you talk about how you worked with your team to resolve it. Project managers work with everyone, not just themselves.
Not sure what to wear? Head over to our Pinterest page to get some ideas, however, be mindful of the industry you are interviewing in. Creative services tend to be more relaxed (but no jeans) versus financial industry tends to be more business.
Finally, send a thank you email to everyone you met within 24 hours along with some key highlights of what you discussed.
Good luck and let me know how the interview went.